The Munson-McGee Family Blog

The stories of our times

Monday, June 24, 2013

Day one of donation

Travel to Fort Worth was uneventful -- it has been YEARS since either Stu or I left DFW through the front doors.

Last night Stu and I walked around this part of Fort Worth. It is actually a pretty nice area. We had dinner on the Trinity River then strolled the long way back to the hotel. Along the way, we found mergansers, snowy and great egrets, a great blue and yellow-crowned night heron, a bunch of mallards, and two scissor-tailed flycatchers. Those were awesome. I have only seen them once or twice before.

The hotel is nice and obviously serves the health care places in the area, of which there are about a gazillion. We were at the blood collection center about 8 this morning, but we were late getting started (I think the RN just forgot she was supposed to be collecting cells today). It took a lot longer than we had anticipated because of the slow start. I had the usual problems donating (my veins roll) but the nurse and the tech made it work. In the end, I pumped out 60% of what the patient needs so I will go back for a shorter session tomorrow. I feel a bit like a pincushion, but there are no more injectionse and I am almost done.

Stu was so bored he donated blood.

Our walk last night included a stroll through an older section of town past lovely homes. With luck, we can make it back before we leave Wednesday.


No comments: